Skip to main content

Why Intermittently Awesome?


I was 35 when I first identified myself as disabled, but that choice came with two realizations: first, that I had been disabled to varying degrees most of my life, and second, that I was now more disabled than before. 

I'll be discussing the details in future posts, but one defining feature of my experience is the unpredictability of my symptoms.

I don't know from one day to the next what work I'll be capable of doing. I don’t know what time I'll begin to function on any given day, how long I'll be able to sustain any activity, and how much time I'll need to recover from it. Tasks that come easily today may prove impossible tomorrow. 

I've accepted that some of the activities I once enjoyed, such as ice skating, martial arts, and horseback riding, now pose too great a risk. However, it’s been more difficult to recognize the things I can still do safely but only occasionally and not necessarily when I'd prefer. 

I earned my PhD in five years and completed my dissertation in less than one, but now I struggle to write this sentence and know I'll need to edit it some other day. 

I taught college English for eight years at multiple universities, but recently, tutoring one eighth grader proved to be all I could handle. 

I put a great deal of effort into trying new things and finding new ways of doing old things, only to leave articles unfinished, goals unreached, and dreams unrealized. 

The intermittent nature of my condition is not unique. Many wheelchair users are intermittently ambulant. Many diseases cause intermittent blindness, deafness, seizures, cognitive impairment, or fatigue. Many chronically ill patients experience cycles of relapse and remission. 

Everyone has good days and bad days. The problem is that those of us with intermittent symptoms are accused of faking a disability if we are seen having a good day or accused of exaggerating our disability for sympathy when we are seen having a bad one. 

Over time, I've realized that my physical and cognitive impairments are not the true source of conflict. Rather, it’s my perception of what I should be able to do, what I need to achieve to feel successful, and what I need to contribute to feel useful. 

It's also others' perceptions of what I must accomplish to be worthy of recognition, what I must produce to be worthy of compensation, and what I must do (or fail to do) to prove I both need and deserve help. 

All of these perceptions are clouded by the ableism we've all internalized, and all are limited by a lack of information and awareness of what disability currently is and what it possibly could be.  

Once, I might have said I'm disabled because the various medical conditions I was born with and later acquired are incompatible with my chosen career and lifestyle. Now, I recognize that the living and working conditions available to me are incompatible with my needs and desires. Again, I am not alone. 

I struggle a lot, but once in a while, I’ll have a good day, a good hour, a good moment when I can say to myself, “I still got it.” 

More importantly, I have moments when I experience something I never have before, something I would never have experienced if my body and mind were not exactly as they are. 

I want to acknowledge the times I am intermittently functional, but I also need to recognize the times I am intermittently awesome. And I want to share both with you. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Monica Byrne

Last month, I posted my review of The Actual Star by Monica Byrne. I had the pleasure of working with the author as a disability consultant, a job that was completely new to me that I hope to do again.  Recently, Monica took time out of her busy schedule to chat with me about disability as it relates to her life and work.  Monica Byrne grew up in Annville, Pennsylvania, as the youngest child of two theologians. She studied biochemistry at Wellesley, NASA, and MIT before moving to Durham, North Carolina, to pursue her career in fiction and theatre.  Her debut novel, The Girl in the Road , won the 2015 Otherwise Award. Her plays, What Every Girl Should Know , Tarantino's Yellow Speedo , and Ohio! , have been performed around the world.  She gave the first ever science fictional TED talk in Vancouver and hosted a film series on technology for ViceUK . Her essays have appeared in The Atlantic , Wired , and The Washington Post , while all of her previously published short stories are

Disabled Gardening, Part 2: the Wet and Wild World of Hydroponics

In part 1 of this series, I explored why I found my local community garden inaccessible and generally unwelcoming to disabled people. Now I want to talk about what I did instead to grow some of my own food. This is my hydroponic garden. It’s not very pretty on the outside, but it’s mine.                              Hydroponics is a method of gardening that requires no land or soil. Instead, plants grow in a solution of water and dissolved minerals.  While much of the science was developed by marijuana growers who had to keep plants indoors to avoid law enforcement, hydroponic farms now produce a wide variety of crops all over the world.   NASA has even used hydroponics to grow veggies in microgravity on the International Space Station. Before I describe how I grew my garden, I want to identify the privileges that allowed me to do so.  I live in my mother’s apartment where there is space for several large shelving units. Electricity, heat, and water are included in her rent. I have i

Where I’ve Been and Where I'm Going

I haven’t updated this blog since last Thanksgiving .  I’m tempted to say that life got away from me, that I didn’t realize the blog had been inactive for so long. I’m tempted to claim I was busy with other things and didn’t have the time or energy to devote to it. But the truth is more complicated.  The blog was never abandoned or forgotten. I devoted time to it every day. This draft was always open on my laptop or phone. I'm keenly aware of how long it's been a work in progress. In the past, a piece like this would have taken me an hour to complete. But what you're about to read took a year to write, and it's taken me much longer to understand why writing has become such a struggle. Writing is not one activity but many. When I was a full-time writer, editor, and English professor, my livelihood depended on my ability to do a number of tasks simultaneously.  I had to to be awake and fully engaged. I had to type on a keyboard and read from multiple pages and screens. I