Skip to main content

Review: The Actual Star by Monica Byrne

Front cover of the novel, The Actual Star, orange and white lettering, a star in the night sky as viewed from a cave belowon a galaxy background

Today, I'm celebrating the release of Monica Byrne’s novel, The Actual Star. Before I share my review, I have to admit I’m a bit biased. Novelist, playwright, activist, and futurist Monica Byrne is a dear friend. A year ahead of me at our small Catholic high school in central Pennsylvania, she was essentially the person I wanted to be when I grew up. 

For several years, I've been a supporter of Monica's work through Patreon. Rather than simply buying a book after it’s published, patrons send a small amount of money each month to support the author directly at every stage of project development. In return, we get a behind-the-scenes look at the entire creative process. 

When Monica was writing about a society in the distant future, she wanted groups who are often ignored or excluded today to be more accurately represented tomorrow. I was one of many expert readers she hired for that purpose. 

I’ll say more about my work as a disability consultant in future posts, but I have Monica to thank for introducing me to the profession. The only thing I enjoyed more than consulting on part of her manuscript was getting to read the final product.

Harper Voyager describes The Actual Star as "David Mitchell’s Cloud Atlas meets Octavia Butler’s Earthseed series." Like Butler's Parable of the Sower, this novel explores how healing a broken world requires a new spiritual paradigm. Like Mitchell's book, the story takes place in different time periods that form an interwoven narrative. However, the scope of Monica's work is perhaps broader than both. 

In the year 1012, we meet twins Ajul and Ixul and their younger sister Ket, heirs to the throne of the Mayan city-state of Tzoyna in present-day Belize. The court prepares a human sacrifice in the sacred cave of Actun Tunichil Muknal, but an uprising interrupts the coronation ritual. 

The collapse of their civilization causes the three siblings' souls to reincarnate as different characters, all of whom face similar struggles in their own times. 

In 2012, Minnesota-born Leah Oliveri travels to Belize to explore her Mayan heritage. She meets twin brothers and tourist guides Xander and Javier, and what they discover in the ancient caverns will not only change their lives but will alter the entire course of history.

In 3012, the legend of Saint Leah and the Consort Twins has spawned Laviaja (LA vee AH ha), a worldwide religion that has helped humanity survive the effects of climate change. Niloux and Tanaaj, twins separated at birth, find themselves on opposing sides of a debate that calls their entire belief system into question and threatens all that they hold dear. 

The Actual Star has many features I generally like in fiction. The author combines meticulous historical and scientific research with her personal experience as a traveler. Her robust worldbuilding rivals that of J R R Tolkien and C S Lewis, but she centers indigenous cultures and people of color. Characters in every time period challenge gender norms and conventional views of sexuality, relationships, and family.

Monica credits Frank Herbert, Kim Stanley Robinson, Ursula K Le Guin, and many other writers for the social and technological innovations she borrows, but her synthesis of nomadic cultures, gift economies, documented anarchy, artificial intelligence, and need- and skill-based algorithms is very much her own.

The author also uses certain tropes I normally dislike in fiction but didn’t dislike in this novel. I tend to steer clear of religious content that reminds me too much of the Catholicism of my youth, but I was genuinely intrigued by Monica's combination of Catholic saints and sacraments with Mayan concepts of reincarnation and the underworld.

I'm usually turned off by astrology, fortune tellers, prophecies, and vision quests, but I easily accepted Laviaja's use of divination, altered states of consciousness, and fictive techniques as tools to facilitate learning and reduce information overload. 

Monica recognizes the limitations of science without abandoning it and acknowledges the power of myth and ritual without treating them as infallible. Even the most uncomfortable material is safe in her hands. 

While dystopian fiction is popular, it’s fundamental flaw is the failure to acknowledge that the dystopia is here and now. Every post-apocalyptic hellscape we imagine is, or has been, reality for the enslaved, the colonized, the impoverished, the disenfranchised, and the disabled. What is harder to imagine is a way out, a way forward. 

The world of 3012 is far from perfect, but the author shows us a way out of capitalism, nationalism, and white supremacy, a world without borders, partisan politics, or corporate conglomerates. 

Laviaja has its problems, but it presents a path through an age of climate catastrophe and displacement, a way to adapt to harsh conditions and use technology to help make life better for everyone instead of making a handful of people rich. The Actual Star demonstrates what is truly possible even if it takes 1,000 years to make it happen. 

If you’d like to join me in celebrating this book, here are some suggestions from the author herself.

 1. Order The Actual Star from your local independent bookstore. If you prefer audiobook, you can order it through Libro.fm.

2. If your local indie isn’t an option, order from any of the retailers on the official page. You can also order the audiobook through Audible.

3. Request The Actual Star at your local library.

4. Leave reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, and/or StoryGraph.

5. Suggest it for your book club. Better yet, invite the author to join you. To schedule a Zoom session, email monica@monicabyrne.org. 

6. If you're a journalist, pitch a review or profile. To request a review copy, email Emily.Fisher@harpercollins.com.

7. Post about it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, etc. Tag @Monica Byrne so she can repost. 

Comments

  1. I love that you've had the opportunity to do disability consulting, and hope you get more chances in the future because I know you have so much to offer in that space!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Monica Byrne

Last month, I posted my review of The Actual Star by Monica Byrne. I had the pleasure of working with the author as a disability consultant, a job that was completely new to me that I hope to do again.  Recently, Monica took time out of her busy schedule to chat with me about disability as it relates to her life and work.  Monica Byrne grew up in Annville, Pennsylvania, as the youngest child of two theologians. She studied biochemistry at Wellesley, NASA, and MIT before moving to Durham, North Carolina, to pursue her career in fiction and theatre.  Her debut novel, The Girl in the Road , won the 2015 Otherwise Award. Her plays, What Every Girl Should Know , Tarantino's Yellow Speedo , and Ohio! , have been performed around the world.  She gave the first ever science fictional TED talk in Vancouver and hosted a film series on technology for ViceUK . Her essays have appeared in The Atlantic , Wired , and The Washington Post , while all of her previously published short stories are

Disabled Gardening, Part 2: the Wet and Wild World of Hydroponics

In part 1 of this series, I explored why I found my local community garden inaccessible and generally unwelcoming to disabled people. Now I want to talk about what I did instead to grow some of my own food. This is my hydroponic garden. It’s not very pretty on the outside, but it’s mine.                              Hydroponics is a method of gardening that requires no land or soil. Instead, plants grow in a solution of water and dissolved minerals.  While much of the science was developed by marijuana growers who had to keep plants indoors to avoid law enforcement, hydroponic farms now produce a wide variety of crops all over the world.   NASA has even used hydroponics to grow veggies in microgravity on the International Space Station. Before I describe how I grew my garden, I want to identify the privileges that allowed me to do so.  I live in my mother’s apartment where there is space for several large shelving units. Electricity, heat, and water are included in her rent. I have i

Where I’ve Been and Where I'm Going

I haven’t updated this blog since last Thanksgiving .  I’m tempted to say that life got away from me, that I didn’t realize the blog had been inactive for so long. I’m tempted to claim I was busy with other things and didn’t have the time or energy to devote to it. But the truth is more complicated.  The blog was never abandoned or forgotten. I devoted time to it every day. This draft was always open on my laptop or phone. I'm keenly aware of how long it's been a work in progress. In the past, a piece like this would have taken me an hour to complete. But what you're about to read took a year to write, and it's taken me much longer to understand why writing has become such a struggle. Writing is not one activity but many. When I was a full-time writer, editor, and English professor, my livelihood depended on my ability to do a number of tasks simultaneously.  I had to to be awake and fully engaged. I had to type on a keyboard and read from multiple pages and screens. I